Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Invitation!

It came! It finally arrived! After months and months of agonizing uncertainty, the verdict is:

PARAGUAY!

I will be working with and assessing early elementary school teachers, developing more effective and inclusive teaching methodologies. I actually know very little about Paraguay. Just that it is landlocked between Brazil and Argentina, the capital is Asunción, and they speak Spanish and Guaraní. I will have to learn Guaraní. I will state for the record that right now it looks very different and difficult and I'm a bit intimidated. The only words I know so far are che (I), nde (you), and avei (also). I cannot, for example, read any of this:

Mayma yvypóra ou ko yvy ári iñapyty'yre ha eteîcha tecoruvicharendá ha acatúape jeguerekópe; ha ikatu rupi oikuaa añetéva ha añete'yva, iporâva ha ivaíva, tekotevê pehenguéicha oiko oñondivekuéra.

Translation:
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood. (Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

I hope some time in the future I look back on this post and say "omg I can't believe that I couldn't read that, it is so very very easy!" Someday.

Anyway, with the invitation packet came a bit of paperwork to do, so I suppose I should get to that instead of wasting time sanguinely sipping my crack-coffee and languidly lounging on a faux-velvet violet couch in a cafe in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment