Thursday, May 13, 2010

Huh, dead end. Those kids must think I'm weird.

I went for a long run today, and it felt great.

Yesterday was a frustrating day at the school. Confronted with simple indifference from the teachers as to whether their kids are learning or not, I just didn't know how to react. I've been observing classes, and making a list of possible areas of improvement. My list is getting rather long. With so many challenges, it's hard to know where to start. Then again, I'm only in week 2 in my site, so I suppose I shouldn't rush things.

Today was less frustrating. I talked to a volunteer from another organization working in the school about the comonalities between our two two projects, and how we could work together to achieve those goals. There was no afternoon class, because this weekend is both Mother's Day and Paraguayan Independence Day, so there was a presentation with refreshments in lieu of class. The festivities lasted until around 3:30 in the afternoon.

After school I went home and got ready for my run. Another volunteer and I have agreed to train for a half-marathon in Asunción en August, so I've just started a training regimen. Day 1 was a bit less than I expected, but I'm just getting over a cold, and haven't run very much for the last couple of weeks, so I guess that was excusable. To make up for it, I went for a 15 km, 80 minute run today. It felt amazing. I also got to explore miles of... well, farmland and rocky hills. But I think if I run this same route a few times a week, I should be good and ready for August. A half-marathon is about 21 km, but if I can consistently run 15, I should be able to do it. My goal for the next month is to reduce my "2-min-walk-periods" from 5 to 2, while increasing my speed just sliiiightly.

By and large, I have found that Paraguayans find the concept of exercise very odd. I keep getting asked "Why are you running? Is something wrong?" I try to explain that I do it to stay healthy, and that it makes me feel good, but they usually get lost somewhere it there. Maybe my Guaraní/Spanish/Jopará is just bad.

Well, tomorrow is a rest day, then 15 km more on saturday morning! I miss running water and real coffee, but I miss you all more!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you are trying to keep in shape, Domi. It not only helps with your overall health, but helps cut stress. Sounds like you could use some of that from time to time. Good luck training for the half marathon. I'll check back from time to time.

    JH

    ReplyDelete